The South's Leading Independent Merchant

01273 511100

HPS Merchant

Conserving Water... Does It Really Matter?

Chris Derrer - Monday, October 22, 2018

We all know it, water is the most necessary substance on the planet to create and sustain life. It’s even more important to plumbers… as it is a big part of your working life too. Along with consuming water, look at all the other things we use water for; namely washing ourselves, heating our environments and cleaning things around us.

It is thought by most people that water is extremely abundant, but did you know only around 2% of the world’s water is currently fit for human consumption? But what about the remaining 98% of water and why can’t we consume it? Simple, it’s salt water in the oceans, or currently still frozen in the polar ice caps. Oh and not forgetting the water being flushed down the toilet right now! Either way, should we conserve water? Does it really matter?

YES! Here are some reasons why:

1. Summers are getting really hot!

This past summer may just have been the hottest on record and it’s been going that way since the 1976 heatwave across the British Isles. Last year was also a very warm summer, and the year before that… With soaring temperatures, water can dry out in the major cities like London. By conserving water, you can ensure we all have enough water to live at least pretty comfortably… you may just need to give the hose pipes a rest and let your lawn suffer a bit!

2. There is a major over-usage

As mentioned above, water is used in everything; agriculture, Thermoelectric power, industry and the treatment of livestock that we would eat for food. These kinds of sectors and industries run everyday, 24/7 at some kind of capacity. This usually cannot be helped and is often managed as responsibly as possible… however, we can all help. People that take regular baths or those taking long showers, leaving the tap on when brushing teeth/shaving, etc. You’d be pretty amazed how much water we can all save as individuals by switching from baths to showers and turning the tap off while we brush our teeth twice a day!

3. There’s a population increase

Like we said in the opener, we have always needed and always will need water. We constantly use it for heating, Washing, consuming, cleaning and cooking. If the number of people inhabiting the planet skyrockets as predicted over the next 20 years, water conservation will basically have to be law, otherwise people would waste what limited water we would have left. There are lots of water saving innovations we can install in our homes, so just ask in branch for some tips and product ideas and one of our friendly members of staff will help as much as possible!



Search all products